Thursday, May 6, 2010

Soccer Mania


Sweat pours from my kids' faces as they run excitedly to me, reaching out for their water bottles.  Next to me my toddler screams for water too as she pulls on my the hem of my shorts.  Attached to the front of me in an Evenflo Snugli, my infant whines for liquid as well - he's hot and crabby and tired and lets me know that he needs attention- can't forget about him! 

The smell of freshly-cut grass tickles my nose while gnats fly around my face and fireants crawl around my toes.  I hear my kids gulping down water in between heavy panting as they try to catch their breath.  Parents around me sing praises of their children's skills as the kids jump up and down, declaring their awesomeness in kicking a round sphere around on the field.  All of this commotion goes on around me while I think to myself, "Why am I doing this?!?"

It's soccer season and I'm immersed into a sea of soccer balls, practices, games, kids, gnats, fireants, and heat.  I used to lover soccer season but this spring has been rough and I've begun to dread the drive to the soccer fields at the YMCA.  I make this trek three times a week with all six kids by MYSELF!!!  My husband teaches night classes and thankfully, on Saturday mornings, he is able to attend the games with me.  But, I tell ya, I am simply, completely, and utterly worn out with all these practices and games! 

I caught myself falling asleep standing up earlier this week at one of the practices because I was so bored.  Don't get me wrong, I am totally enthusiastic about the sport.  I played it myself growing up and have even coached several of my son's teams but this spring I have had enough.  My two middle girls and son decided they all wanted to play and I was excited to watch them but I didn't factor in the time it would swallow up nor did I realize my husband wouldn't be around to help drag the kids to practice.  Spending 2.5 hours two nights a week trying to entertain a toddler, have an infant attached to the front of me, and support the kids who are playing soccer...well, it's gotten the best of me.  This 31 year-old woman is dragging and feels older than Sarah when she birthed Isaac way back when...I'm seeing wrinkles in places that I didn't know could wrinkle!!!

Although I am weary and worn, I have enjoyed these moments of watching my 4 year-old score a goal for the wrong team, my 6 year-old fix her hair a billion times during a game and then regain focus and fiercely go after the ball, and watching my 9 year-old son kick the threads out of the ball from backfield.  I love screaming for my kids and chearing them on.  Oddly enough, out of the 3 teams my kids' play on, 2 of them are called the Tigers.  It's funny because I live about 45 minutes away from Clemson University, home of the....you guessed it, TIGERS! 

I have enjoyed countless times of running around trying to get that perfect picture to show Daddy when he gets home from work but for now, I'm wishing soccer would end soon...but then, what would I do with my Tuesday and Thursday nights and Saturday mornings?  So, here's to another game this weekend, more pictures to capture, more kids, gnats, fireants, and heat.  Aw, gotta love soccer insanity, I mean soccer mania :)

No comments:

Post a Comment