Saturday, March 13, 2010

Losing My Mind at Chuck E's Crib

So my friend decides to have her 4 year-old daughter's birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese on a Friday night (5 PM start time).  I thought, "Hmmm...can't be too bad, right?  And I have friends visiting from out of town with kids, so we should definitely go."  Seriously - what was I thinking?!?  Chuck E. Cheese on a Friday night in Greenville?  That is like the only kid-friendly place to go during the winter!!!  And our town only has only one Chuck E.!!!!  Yeah...wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be.

Between my family and my friend's family, there were 9 kids to look after.  I'm glad Chuck E. Cheese has a child-protection system in place - giving each child and parent the mark which can only be seen under their super-duper special light - but honestly, that still doesn't make me feel safe enough to let my children roam aimlessly from game to game.  I am naturally a distrusting person when it comes to my kids which means that wherever I go, I am constantly keeping my eyes on them to make sure no stranger takes them or touches them inappropriately.  So Chuck E. may give each of us special little stamps, but he still has restrooms and who knows which awful pedifile is lurking and waiting to help my children go potty?  I shudder at the thought.  Now you can see while I am on edge at place like Chuck E.'s crib.

On a Friday night there were a TON of children and strangers!  I was losing my mind trying to keep up with everyone.  That already gave me a bit of stress but add loud music, strobe lights, and an extremely warm temperature in the building, I was ready to vomit and scream at the top of my lungs - anything to create extra space around me.  For goodness sake, I had an 8 week old child strapped to my chest (I use an Evenflo carrier) so I was already feeling closterphobic!!!  Someone get me outta there!!!!!!!! 

Don't think I'm a Chuck E. hater, but on a winter - almost spring - Friday night, it is pure insanity to bring your children to that place!  The food was good - or so I thought until this morning when the toilet became my best friend for an hour - and the games are extremely entertaining for young and old (like my husband) but I don't think the stress is worth the entertainment I strove to provide for my children.  The little girl had a fabulous birthday and I'm glad we were able to help celebrate but from now on, I make a vow, a solid committment NEVER to enter Chuck E.'s crib again on a Friday night.  Maybe a Monday night or some time during the day but never, ever, a Friday night again!   Here's to Chuck E. - thanks for the headache and memories!  And cheap prizes!  All children went home happy and all parents went home with migraines - priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment